Makes enough to frost one 2-layer 8- or 9-inch cake or 24 cupcakes
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the cream cheese for about 1 minute, ensuring that it is soft and pliable. Stop the mixer and use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
2. Add the softened butter to the bowl. Beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 1 minute, until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the brown sugar and molasses to the cream cheese and butter, beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and powdered sugar followed by the vanilla. Beat until almost incorporated. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
4. Beat on medium speed until all of the powdered sugar has disappeared and mixture is velvety soft.
5. Use immediately by spreading on a layer cake or cupcakes. If not using immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before spreading o cakes. Frosting will last, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Perfect for Zucchini Cream Cheese Pound Cake