Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Makes: 1 dozen
• 2 cups (500mL) flour
• 4 tsp (20mL) baking powder
• ¼ tsp (1mL) baking soda
• ¾ tsp (3mL) salt
• 2 tbsp (30mL) butter
• 2 tbsp (30mL) shortening
• 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk, chilled – 5 mL vinegar, top with milk
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients until looks like crumbs (the faster the better, you don’t want the fats to melt)
3. Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled butter milk. Gradually stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times
5. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough.
6. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch.
7. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first but hey, that’s life.)