• 1 package active dry yeast
• 1 cup warm water
• ¼ cup white sugar
• 3 tbsp milk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tsp salt
• 4 ½ cups bread flour
• 2 tsp minced garlic (optional)
• ¼ cup melted butter
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand for about 10 minutes, until
frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make soft dough.
2. Knead for about 6-9 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth.
3. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise.
4. Let it rise for an hour, until dough has doubled in volume (place in a warm oven for 15
5. Punch down dough and knead in garlic.
6. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of golf balls.
7. Roll into balls and place on a tray. Cover with a towel and allow it to rise until doubled
size, about 30 minutes.
8. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
9. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle.
10. Lightly oil the grill and place dough on grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until puffy and
lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter and turn over.
11. Brush cooked side with butter and cook until browned, another 2-4 minutes.
12. Remove from grill and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.